Genetic Counseling Services
St. Luke's offers Genetic Counseling Services to provide information and support to patients concerned about a genetic disorder, birth defect, or a personal or family risk of an inherited condition or disease. This offers an important resource to help patients and their physicians make better informed decisions about their health and medical care.
Genetic Counseling and Testing Services can help:
- Assess an individual's risk of disease
- Detect or diagnose a disease and predict how it may progress
- Identify carriers of a disease gene
- Identify inherited birth defects or genetic disorders
- Offer screening and provide guidance and coordination for appropriate genetic testing
- Translate complex genetic information and guide patients through medical decisions
- Provide emotional support and connect patients to other resources
Genetic counselors offer a specialized expertise that enhances the services and care physicians and other healthcare professionals provide to their patients.
ST. LUKE'S GENETIC COUNSELING SERVICES
Cancer Genetic Counseling
Cancer genetic counseling can help identify patients at risk for a hereditary cancer disorder and discuss surveillance and preventive options.
- GYN, including ovarian and uterine
Prenatal, Preconceptional and Infertility Genetic Counseling
Communication with Patients and Referring Physicians
- Preconception - concern about personal or family histories and teratogen exposure
- Prenatal - abnormal ultrasound findings, serum screening, prenatal diagnosis, teratogen exposure, concerns about personal or family histories
- Infertility - recurrent pregnancy loss evaluation, help identify genetic causes of infertility
Genetic testing results and a counseling summary letter is sent to the patient, referring physician and any other designated health professional.
For more information or to make a genetic counseling appointment, call 314-469-3990.