St. Luke's Hospital
Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
Find a Physician Payment Options Locations & Directions
Follow us on: facebook twitter Mobile Email Page Email Page Print Page Print Page Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Font Size
America's 50 Best Hospitals
Meet the Doctor
Spirit of Women
Community Health Needs Assessment
Home > Health Information

Multimedia Encyclopedia

    Print-Friendly
    Bookmarks

    Automatic dishwasher soap poisoning

    Automatic dishwasher soap poisoning refers to illness that occurs when you swallow soap used in automatic dishwashers or when the soap contacts the face.

    This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

    Poisonous Ingredient

    Automatic dishwasher products contain various soaps. Potassium carbonate and sodium carbonate are the most common.

    Where Found

    • Automatic dishwasher soaps

    Symptoms

    • Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
      • Severe pain in the throat
      • Severe pain or burning in the nose, eyes, ears, lips, or tongue
      • Loss of vision
      • Throat swelling (which may also cause breathing difficulty)
    • Heart and blood circulation
      • Low blood pressure -- develops rapidly
      • Collapse
      • Severe change in blood acid levels, which can lead to organ damage
    • Lungs
      • Breathing difficulty (from inhalation)
    • Skin
      • Irritation
      • Burns
      • Necrosis (tissue death) in the skin or underlying tissues
    • Stomach and intestines
      • Severe abdominal pain
      • Vomiting, may be bloody
      • Burns of the esophagus (food pipe)
      • Blood in the stool

    Home Care

    Seek immediate emergency medical help. Do NOT make the person throw up.

    If the soap is in the eyes, flush with lots of water for at least 15 minutes.

    If the soap was swallowed, have the patient immediately drink water or milk.

    Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • The patient's age, weight, and condition
    • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
    • The time it was swallowed
    • The amount swallowed

    Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

    What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Blood and urine tests will be done. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:

    • Blood transfusion if severe blood loss has occurred
    • Fluids through a vein (I.V.)
    • Endoscopy -- camera down the throat to see burns in the esophagus and the stomach
    • Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)
    • Medicines to treat an allergic reaction (diphenhydramine, epinephrine, or prednisone)

    Outlook (Prognosis)

    How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

    Swallowing such poisons can have severe effects on many parts of the body. Damage can continue to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after the product is swallowed. Death may occur up to a month after the poisoning.

    However, most cases of swallowing dishwasher soap are relatively nontoxic. Over the counter household products are specifically made to be relatively safe to persons and the environment.

    References

    Harchelroad FP Jr, Rottinghaus DM. Chemical burns. In: Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS, Ma OJ, Cline DM, eds. Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 6th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2004:chap 200.

    BACK TO TOP

          Self Care

            Tests for Automatic dishwasher soap poisoning

              Review Date: 8/3/2011

              Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

              The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
              adam.com

              A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and chrome browser.


              Back  |  Top
              About Us
              Contact Us
              History
              Mission
              Locations & Directions
              Quality Reports
              Annual Reports
              Honors & Awards
              Community Health Needs
              Assessment

              Newsroom
              Services
              Brain & Spine
              Cancer
              Heart
              Maternity
              Orthopedics
              Pulmonary
              Sleep Medicine
              Urgent Care
              Women's Services
              All Services
              Patients & Visitors
              Locations & Directions
              Find a Physician
              Tour St. Luke's
              Patient & Visitor Information
              Contact Us
              Payment Options
              Financial Assistance
              Send a Card
              Mammogram Appointments
              Health Tools
              My Personal Health
              mystlukes
              Spirit of Women
              Health Information & Tools
              Clinical Trials
              Health Risk Assessments
              Employer Programs -
              Passport to Wellness

              Classes & Events
              Classes & Events
              Spirit of Women
              Donate & Volunteer
              Giving Opportunities
              Volunteer
              Physicians & Employees
              For Physicians
              Remote Access
              Medical Residency Information
              Pharmacy Residency Information
              Physician CPOE Training
              Careers
              Careers
              St. Luke's Hospital - 232 South Woods Mill Road - Chesterfield, MO 63017 Main Number: 314-434-1500 Emergency Dept: 314-205-6990 Patient Billing: 888-924-9200
              Copyright © St. Luke's Hospital Website Terms and Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  Patient Notice of Privacy Policies PDF Sitemap St. Luke's Mobile