Choosing a Pediatrician for Your Baby
Choosing a doctor for your baby is another one of the many important decisions you will make as a parent. You will want to select a doctor before your baby is born, as the doctor usually visits the baby shortly after birth in the hospital.
Let St. Luke's Physician Referral Service help you find a pediatrician to meet your specific needs. Call 314-205-6060 or search the online physician directory.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents ask the following questions when choosing a pediatrician:
- Is the pediatrician accepting new patients? Is he or she covered by your insurance or managed care plan?
- What are the office hours?
- Is emergency coverage available 24 hours a day, seven days a week?
- Is the pediatrician available by phone or e-mail? If so, when?
- Does the practice have an after-hours answering service?
- Where are patients referred after hours?
- Is there access to pediatric specialists, if needed?
- What hospital does the pediatrician prefer to use?
- How does the office handle billing and insurance claims? Is payment due at the time of the visit?
- If your child has special medical needs, ask about the practice's overall orientation and philosophy about caring for special-needs children. Can it provide the support you need to coordinate medical care for your child?